Between31 March 2016
It would be fair to say that I’m between social networks. I don’t mean I’m not participating, no. I mean that I’m inhabiting the void between those I used to be active in. Ok, ok, I’m bouncing about in either the Venn diagram voids or the overlaps between services. Or both.
It’s an odd sensation.
So, my past:
- MSN Chat, from early 1997 until autumn 1998 was my entry point into online chat. It was easy. I fell into the What’s Cooking Online (WCOL) room entirely by accident and stayed there for a while,
- Facebook appeared in my life around 2008. It’s still there, though you wouldn’t know I’d been around since then were you to look at my ‘Friends’ list. They’re pretty-much all people I know, see?
- btinternet.chatter grabbed me in 1998 as a BT phone customer with the related btinternet ISP, once I’d spread my wings away from the cosy MSN. Though it was shut down some time ago, I occasionally attempt to keep in touch with the lovely people who inhabited it. Closure notwithstanding it’s been around 11 years since I was last active there anyway,
- Twitter, we all know about Twitter; it was my home from 2010 until…
- I discovered App.net, early in April 2013. A great community, lovely people, an ad-free and owner-meddling-free environment; I can’t quite figure out why I’m not there right now…
- 10Centuries.org is where I ‘am’ right now though, more of a dipper than prolific. Great people (a number* from ADN) and a comfortable, spam and ad-free environment. The network, as I’m sure you’ve heard me say, is in an invite-only phase right now. I have some.
Well ok, I do know why I’m not active. I’ve spent more time programming/developing/attempting to fix and evolve my 10C client - and avoiding talking about it online - than being ‘social’. Weird.